As Vice President of Network Services, Robert Vietzke (Rob) is responsible for the management and operation of Internet2’s advanced global network, its relationships with regional and global network partners, and research and development for the network. Rob’s areas include a planning and architecture team, a business relationship team, a security team, an operations team, and a planning and project management team that work together to operate the world’s first sliceable 100G OpenFlow-based transcontinental SDN network. Members of Rob’s team contribute to global leadership efforts like perfSONAR and the Global Network Architecture.
Between 2009 and 2013, Rob successfully led Internet2’s broadband technologies infrastructure program, which, with dozens of R&E community partners, helped create the environment that brought over $1.5B in ARRA stimulus funds to the R&E community. For Internet2, Rob led the team that applied for $96M in federal funding that resulted in Internet2 acquiring and equipping the nation’s first native 8.8 Tbps 15,000+ mile optical network.
Prior to this role at Internet2, Rob worked at the University of Connecticut as the Director and Network Architect of the Connecticut Education Network, where he led the development of the nation’s first all-optical K-20 education network that linked over 169 K-12 school districts and over 40 college and university campuses together with a gigabit optical network. In other management roles, Rob has led and designed cable television, telephony and data networks, and has managed policy, legal and financial operations and planning.
- 2018 Internet2 Global Summit
- 2016 Internet2 Global Summit
- 2015 Technology Exchange
- 2014 Internet2 Global Summit
- 2013 Internet2 Annual Meeting
- Fall 2012 Internet2 Member Meeting
- Spring 2012 Internet2 Member Meeting
- Spring 2011 Internet2 Member Meeting
- Fall 2010 Internet2 Member Meeting
- Fall 2009 Internet2 Member Meeting
- Spring 2009 Internet2 Member Meeting
- Spring 2007 Internet2 Member Meeting
- Fall 2006 Internet2 Member Meeting
- Fall 2004 Internet2 Member Meeting
- Sessions with no meeting details