Sustainability in Federated Identity Services - Global and Local
Time 04/26/17 10:30AM-11:45AM
Room Mount Vernon B
Federation Services have evolved at national levels for over 10 years now. However, when it comes to scaling over multiple legal entities in multiple jurisdictions with a range of different business models, business model aspects of sustainability easily become more challenging than technical inter-operability or even operational coordination. This session will introduce three aspects of sustainable delivery of federation services covering a range of services, tools and communities. A panel discussion will then evaluate the success and limitations of their business model approaches and consider some challenges and potential solutions for sustainability.
Part 1 - Learning from established services and communities of interest- InCommon, REFEDs, eduGAIN, eduroam, Shibboleth, and other nationally scaled examples:
- Where and why did these services succeed?
- How is delivery managed and sustained - governance, funding and value delivered.
- What were the compromises that were needed and what kind of service resulted? What are our limitations?
Part 2 - Sustainability at a Global Level
- Leveraging existing services for sustainable revenue - InAcademia simple validation service
- Following the money in the e-Research landscape - more researchers, more security requirements, attributes and group management services - eduTEAMs, funding and sustainability strategies.
Part 3 - Sustainability at a local level - Expanding the portfolio to meet diverse needs at SURFnet in the Netherlands
- Active federation operations - taking on responsibilities on behalf of the campus - different services and strong usage policies to create a highly valued service
- Campus enterprise usage scenario - integrating commercial cloud services for the entire campus, with clear contracts in places (i.e. license contracts).
- Diversifying the service for the research collaboration scenario - meet the researchers’ expectations without compromising the needs of the enterprise users.
Part 4: Panel & Room discussion on sustainability
Speaker Maarten Kremers Surfnet BV
Primary track Trust and Identity