Spring 2001 Internet2 Member Meeting
The Spring 2001 Internet2 Member Meeting was held March 6–9, 2001 at the Marriott Wardman Park Hotel, in Washington, D.C. The goal was to have a working meeting, where members could discuss the future of high-performance networking and formulate activities for the months ahead.
The Spring Member Meeting had a focus on policy and strategic planning, to complement the more technical and applications focus of the fall meeting. Breakout sessions were organized into four tracks:
- Advanced Applications
- Network Planning and Engineering
- Relationships and Partnerships
A number of major initiatives and activities were highlighted during the two plenary sessions on Thursday and Friday morning:
- An update on actions taken and planned as a result of the Town Meeting discussion at the Fall Member Meeting in Atlanta
- An announcement of a new videoconferencing service
- An update on expanded access to Abilene and Sponsored Educational Group Participants
- A presentation on multicast deployment and multicast content
- An update on the Internet2 End-to-End Performance Initiative
- The plenaries included some time for open discussion, and follow up discussions on these topics were scheduled as well
A breakfast Business Meeting was held on Friday morning just before the closing plenary, and all interested members were invited to attend. In addition to financial and organizational information, announcement of the new Board of Trustees and Advisory Council members were made during that meeting.
Two social events were planned, including an informal pre-dinner reception on Wednesday at the Marriott Wardman Park, and a gala event at the Newseum in Arlington, Virginia on Thursday evening.
There were several tutorials, Advisory Council meetings, and other working group, task force, and constituency group meetings starting on Wednesday.